Looking for a new fitness routine in order to stay healthy? One of the best ways to burn fat doesn’t require an exclusive gym membership or anything fancy – all you need are a pair of comfortable shoes! We’re talking about walking. Walking every day can improve overall health and burn body fat, according to TurboCharged: The Silver Disobedience Edition: How to Defy Aging, Rev Up Your Energy and Burn Body Fat in 8 Simple Steps.
Why is walking so wonderful? Numerous studies have been able to correlate walking with healthy improvements in cholesterol, blood sugar, insulin, triglycerides and blood pressure. Beyond physical markers of health, walking can also help to improve mental health. For example, a study by researchers at Stanford found that walking can actually enhance creative thinking during the walk and also shortly thereafter. If you’ve ever taken a walk just “clear your head” then you have probably experienced the immediate benefit of simply just feeling better.
If that’s not motivation enough, here are some tips to get you going:
- Stroll instead of scroll. Walk with your friends next time you want to get together, rather than sitting down someplace. Everyone will be more focused while moving and less tempted to pull out their phones!
- Catch up on some reading. Wait, what? Yes, grab a pair of headphones and download an audiobook (you can get these from the library or purchase them) to listen to as you walk. Some apps will even read the news to you.
- Bring a four-legged friend. If you don’t have a dog, tag along with a friend that does or even volunteer at a shelter. Animals can have additional positive effects on people’s mental health, too.
- Step to the beat. Music can make the activity more enjoyable and help keep up an appropriate pace.
- Make it family time. Go together and have a good chat or play a game of “I Spy” with your kids along the way.
- Walk while waiting. Instead of sitting while waiting for an appointment, take a lap around the parking lot or in the hallway.
- Park farther away. Choose parking spots farther away from the entrance. If taking public transportation, get out a stop early and walk the rest of the way.
To really rev up your energy and kick fat burning into high gear, check out TurboCharged: The Silver Disobedience Edition, for a new and thorough walking program that details how many steps to take, how to get started, ways to boost your step count, and how to stay inspired.