A lot of new science supports a variety of simple ways we can keep our brains healthy for greater creativity, focus & quick-wit. Here are some easy-to-try favorites to stimulate our brains for better cognition and memory for our second acts.
- Brush your teeth or eat a meal with the opposite hand.
- Try to recall 5 things that are the exact same color in your wardrobe or in a room.
- Yawn. Allow a yawn when you feel it coming. It adds oxygen, wards off sleepiness, helps focus and regulates metabolism by cooling down your brain.
- Study a Foreign Culture. Pick a place you’ve always wondered about. Read and try to learn as much about that land and its people as possible.
- Watch your weight. Excess fat releases cytokines that can produce hormones harmful to your neurons.
- Stop Multi-tasking. Although this may seem uber-efficient—our prefrontal cortex’ is designed to do one task at a time. When trying to master anything, silence technology dings, close the door & focus.
- Breathe. We know this! But must do it. Long deep breaths lower blood pressure & can reduce anxiety, pain, asthma, stress, anger, cramps + more. The exchange of carbon dioxide or oxygen, releases tension and creates a calming effect for the entire body.
- Blink. Since you’re reading this, you’re on some kind of tech device. Laptops & mobile devices will cause us to blink less. This causes strained blurry vision…and mental strain. For every 20 minutes on a computer, spent 20 seconds in a blinking break.
- Improve your posture. Standing as if you have a plate on your head isn’t such a silly idea. Hunching down over tech devices crunches our necks, causing muscle strain, fatigue & pain.
- Walk & Stretch. Both lower bad cholesterol and stress hormones that reduce immunity.
- Drink water. If you’re dehydrated, toxic cellular waste is building up in your brain & body.
- Laugh. Laughing at life, like exercise strengthens us. It also ups dopamine, which is the chemical that activates the brain’s pleasure center.
Let me know how many you’re trying…and if you have any personal favorites of your own to share.
@DianGriesel is @SilverDisobedience a #Model @WilhelminaModels @ApertureTalent Her #influence is with the #SilverHair #50plusandfabulous #generationstrong Dian’s been a #communications #strategist to 1000+ people during the past 25+ years. Her #bloggerslife is focused on #life #age #aging #philosophy #Silver Disobedience hosts #relevant #discussions for those #overfifty #over50 the #elderly (according to #society ) #seniors to some; just plain #over50yearsold #fiftyplus & anyone who wants to join this party! #photographyoftheday by #